For Kasturba Gandhi and Coretta Scott King:
Lessons of Loving a Prophet
1. You know how this ends, there’s nothing you can do to change it—so make peace with it now:
Ready your hands for the callus, shred the cloth for bandages, prepare the rosaries.
2. When you meet him outside the grocery, along the board walk, beneath the overpass…you will not know what he is. He will be neither too charming nor too handsome, not thunder, not polish.
3. The day you fall in love his mouth will spill your name. He will repeat, and repeat. He will not touch you. He will watch your hips, study whatever ample you have—will ask to watch you dance. When you turn to leave, he will use your name like a choke chain.
4. He will call you, “Miracle.” Your face will unravel. This is his magic. When he begs you promise, say “Yes.”
5. When he offers his lips…take them. Take his arms, his throat, take his toes, when he offers gorge. Swallow everything whole. Gag. Vomit. Swallow more. Do not hesitate. No time for polite or coy. Take.
6. When the minions call you whore. Nod.
7. He will tell you of the others. How they went crazy in their sleep awaiting his return. Do not flinch. Do not doubt you thicken finger tips. Stand upright. You promised.
8. When you find him in his room, thrashing the sheets, pressing his palms into the walls, howling, his face a river. Close the door. This is how he makes wine. Leave him in his sorcery.
9. When he explains that he cannot love you, that he will never be yours alone. When he tells how the meek, and the gluttons, the tempted, the proud are his angels. Do not mourn. Smile, feed him, wash his hair.
10. He is a king among thieves. The leeches will hollow his skin. The crows reduce him to bones. His own heart will empty him. Allow for the bleed. Be ready with tourniquet and prayer.
11. In the dry burn of dawn, after the last of the lashes, the thorns, and the spittle, when his limp body is laid at your feet…remember the night he loved you. The ember of his eyes and the way the words came like honey.
12. You were made for this.
- werewolfdanceparty likes this
- weboflives likes this
- thehiddenabyss likes this
- somewaybaby likes this
- desapprendre reblogged this from myeverywordonalimb
- wompasaurus reblogged this from littlevontrapp
- lavernasuicide reblogged this from 5000letters
- sinners-sanction likes this
- meafteryou likes this
- pankakebreath likes this
- myurlisntcoolbutwhogivesafuck likes this
- isabelleroseeva likes this
- rakellykelly reblogged this from vixenelle
- magzy-malone reblogged this from myeverywordonalimb
- goldenmoonphases likes this
- killing-em-softly likes this
- je-veux-ecrire likes this
- orchid-bones likes this
- chobbyc reblogged this from 5000letters
- coinseller likes this
- allkindsofjane likes this
- vivrant-one reblogged this from myeverywordonalimb
- filmheroine likes this
- itsgonnabe-mae likes this
- neutral-malik-hotel likes this
- krystalpuffs likes this
- and-your-worries-make-you-ugly reblogged this from munihush
- mariefstella reblogged this from vixenelle
- tentativelybronwyn likes this
- beatinginadifferentway reblogged this from 5000letters
- midsummersdusk likes this
- maquiis likes this
- midworst reblogged this from vixenelle
- weaverofstars likes this
- vixenelle reblogged this from myeverywordonalimb
- theuppersky likes this
- youarerelevant likes this
- crazed-goddess likes this
- vagancia likes this
- munihush reblogged this from littlevontrapp
- euthanasie reblogged this from kikula
- kikula reblogged this from givemegoodvibes
- kikula likes this
- givemegoodvibes reblogged this from littlevontrapp
- honeyuck likes this
- playroomhymns likes this
- il-labirinto reblogged this from audacteramare